Make The Right Move, Free Chess for Youth – Capital District
#1** Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at SacandagaElementary School, 300 Wren St., Scotia, NYat 4:05 PM to 4:25 PM. Minutes from Make The Right Move Meeting Present: Sreenivas Alampalli, Samantha Giknis, Adam Haberstro, Ken Evans, Brother John McManus. (Next meeting:AlbanyHigh School, Jan. 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM)
I. Aapproval of dates for 2012-2013. Finalized by February. Interested hosting sites begin to SUBMIT PLAN to choose date to host tournament.
- 66 Oct 6, 2012
- 67 Nov 3, 2012
- 41stKingston HS Nov. 17, 2012 (EF $5, $8)
- 68 Dec 1, 2012
- 69 Jan 12, 2013AlbanyHS
- 70 Feb 2, 2013AlbanyHS
- 18th Martin Luther King (St. Joe’s,Kingston) Jan. 21, 2013 ($10, $15)
- 71 Mar 2, 2013
- 72 Apr 6, 2013 NYS Library
- 73 May 4, 2013
- 74 June 1, 2013
- 1. No changes were suggested for next year’s tournament program. Currently we plan to –
- a. Keep 7 sections, 3 USCF rated: King, Queen and Rook; 4 Non-USCF sections: Awe, Knight, Bishop and Pawn
- b. Keep trophies for 1st to 3rd Place in each section and for the Top Seven Teams in each section.
- c. Rated USCF sections would receive larger trophies than Non-USCF sections.
- d. Medals would be given to those with two or more points.
- e. Certificates would be available for those not earning trophy / medal.
II. Timeline for Officers for next year approved. Slates (Teams may present themselves / Names may be submitted). All nominations are due by April 2012 with installation coming in May 2012.
1. Changes in title of officers or job descriptions (to suit abilities) should be approved before the new officers are installed.
III. Budget considerations: Trophies for Next year, Top Ten Schools, Top Ten Players, Player & Coach of the Year. Medals. Plan Presented and approved.
IV. New Business: Picnic Committee—Who, When, Where, What, Why and How!
Notes from Brother John McManus
Officers from 2011-2012:
Sreenivas Alampalli, Marie Gemmill, Daks Puviararasu, Samantha Giknis, Ronald Ladouceur, Brother John McManus
#2** Jan. 7, 2012 atAlbanyHigh School,600 Washington Ave.,Albanyat 4;00 PM,
- A. Accept / amend minutes from Dec. 3, 2011
- Old Business:
- B. Budget proposals: $180 / mo. For trophies and uscf fees = $1800 / year. (based on 10 tournaments.)
- C. Nominate persons for officers for 2012-2013.
- 1. How many? 2. Definition of functions? 3. Teams / Slate
- D. Trophies for next year—ordering deadlines, guidelines (done: $70 for Player/School of Year 2011-2012: 20 trophies.)
- New Business:
- E. Budget considerations– 1. $1000 for 1000 medals for upcoming tournaments. (Paid)
- F. Publicity: Newspapers?? (coverage ofMiddletown’s Deepak Simul – Luis Garcia) TV? – good coverage of above event
- G. Picnic Committee—names and dates for completion of tasks / timeline NO ACTION
- 1. Time and place Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at CBA, 4:00 – 7:00 PM confirmed!!! (3/5/12, Linda McGrath, CBA via phone)
- 2. Chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, apple pie and ice cream? * Cf Ron Ladouceur flyer for sponsors.
**3 2/18/2012 RensselaerBoys’ and Girls’ Club 3:30-3:45
- 1. Trophies arrived 2/20/2012 ($976.75 paid) Unpack, sort, check for errors. (BJM)
- 2. Slates for nominations : President & team for 2013. Job descriptions provided by Mar.
- – List at least 5…. (All have the Right to refuse nomination) Lesedi Morrison Joseph Whyte Samantha Giknis Sreenivas Alampalli Adam Haberstro Bill Matters
- 3. New Business –Albany PAL May 14 (Mon) and May 16 (Wed) 3:30-5:30. Pizza / Awards May 18 (Fri) 4:00 atPALCenter at VI,844 Madison Ave., Albany A. Trophies ordered, paid, packed for picnic— 10 Top teams, 10 top players
- 4. Financial report – see separate sheet.
Update: March 1, 2012: Trophies ordered, sorted and paid for 2012-2013 season. Stored at391 Western Ave.,AlbanyNY12203. Medals also paid and stored therein. Albany HS assigned Jan/Feb Hosting (pending)
TD’s Bill Matters and Sreenivas Alampalli continue to develop. Received credit for Jan/Feb tournaments from USCF.
Confidential info available for ID and address for The Right Move Chess Foundation, PO Box, SI. See Brother John as necessary. New–
- Sponsorship program 1. Season: $2000: Name of Sponsor on Web & advertising
- Sponsor’s Name & Make The Right Move 2012-2013 “Free Chess for Youth”
- Participating Sponsor $200: one tournament
- Family Sponsorship $20: Name in Brochure at Picnic in June (cf FLYER)
Web IT needed to assist in running website. Technical knowledge skills pre-requisite for training. Immediate need!! Daks Puviarasu top resource. Ron Ladouceur IT. Transfer of website The Right Move (NYC) to begin in April via Daks & Ron. Website will host both NYC and Albany events.
#4 ** Mar 10, 2012 at ML King Magnet School,Schenectady 3:30-3:45
- Full Slate of officers or 2012-2013 presented by Sreenivas Alampalli (draft copy) —Sreenivas Alampalli, Dakshinamurthy Puviararasu, Paul Wilson, Samantha Giknis, George Ladouceur: Bill Townsend, Ken Evans, Bill Matters
- Ron Ladouceur presented a format for budgeting agenda items to Boards for possible income for MTRM chess (flyer PDF prepared)
- Paul Wilson seekingSchenectadysupport for chess
- Bill Ttownsend announces “The Only Show in Town” on weekends for chess activity is MTRM, that is, Make The Right Move.
- Addenda: Pizza for March 31 at NYS Library (EmpireStatePlaza) Lou Beas 463-1992. 6 24 slice pies at 11:30. 4 24 slice pies at 12:00. (Games 10:30, 11:40, 1:05, 2:15) = 10 pies, 6 at 12:00, 4 at 12:30. Cups and Soda provided by Price Chopper.
Participating Sites 2011 – 2012 Academic Year: Hats off to–
AlbanyHS,700 Washington Ave.,Albany(Sch 454-3987)/Dr. Liz Giallanela
CBA, 12 Airline Drive., Colonie (Sch 452-9809) /Linda McGrath
GiffenMemorialElementary School,274 S. Pearl St.Albany(Sch 462-7176) /Herman Calderon
HenryJohnsonCharterSchool, 400 Northern Blvd.,Albany (Sch 432-4300) /Lesedi Morrison, Dwayne Bass
ML King,918 Stanley St.,Schenectady(Sch 370-8360) /Andrew Ferrone 518 441-7696 firstname.lastname@example.org
KingstonHigh School, Broadway, (Sch ) /Ken Evans
LaSalleSchool,391 Western Ave.,Albany12203(Sch 242-4371) /Brother John McManus
Menands UFSD,19 Wards Lane, Menands (Sch 465-4561) /Charlie Blanchet
MiddletownHigh School,Middletown(Sch ) /Luis Garcia
MontessoriMagnet School,65 Tremont St.,Albany(Sch 475-6675) /Mandy O’Connor
NYS Library,Madison Ave., (1 Empire State Plaza,Albany 474-5877) /Albert Gnidica (Lib )
PALCenter,844 Madison Ave., (VI),Albany /Sgt. Lenny Richiutti, Sherry Rose
RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) / Brian Furtado
Sacandaga,300 Wren St.,Scotia(Sch 382-1282) / Michelle Calderon
St. Joseph’s Elementary School,600 Wall St.,Kingston / Karen Merker
Woodcrest, 2032 Rt. 213, Rifton / Rick Burke email@example.com